All in All, It’s Just Another Face in the Wall – Threatening Enclosures From Which One Wishes to Push Out or Escape: Perinatal Media, Part 4
Perinatal Media, Part Four: All in All, It’s Just Another Face in the Wall–Enclosing, Threatening Things That One Wishes to Push Out or Escape From
Faces Coming Out of the Walls
I would like to refer to one final perinatal indicator in the visual media, which has been capturing my attention of late…seeming to be coming out of the very walls at me! This is—what appears to me to be—a recent and new sort of perinatal symbolism, at least in Western culture.
We have had, over and over again, the image of the “evil fetus” erupting from the abdomen, as in the classic scene from “Alien” as well as that of it emerging from the mouth—as examples, the “volcano-new-species” episode of The X Files and the dance hall scene in “Jacob’s Ladder”—indicating fetal emergence mixed with ungentle neonatal mouth clearing (see the previous section titled, “Gag Me With Asparagus“).
But this new variation of “fetal emergence” has human faces pushing through membrane-like elastic walls!
Ventura out of the womb
A good example of this occurs in the movie, “Ace Ventura, Pet Detective, When Nature Calls.” In the Ace Ventura movie, Jim Carey emerges from inside a mechanical rhino with virtually all birth elements evident.
He is holed up in a hot and suffocating “womb”—that is, he is inside the rhino. He becomes engaged in a desperate need to get out. Interestingly, the fan—the source of comfort in the rhino (womb)—stops working after a while. This is exactly analogous to the way, when we are fetuses, the nurturing elements of the mother’s womb “turn off,” in the last stage of gestation, making the womb quite an uncomfortable place indeed. We see him pushing his face against the elastic, membrane surface of the rhino’s posterior in a way graphically suggesting perinatal emergence. The tourists watching this explicitly state that they see it as the rhino giving birth. We witness the actual “birth”: Jim Carey (Ace Ventura) struggles to make the opening larger and to come out. Finally, he falls, naked wet and curled up fetal- or baby-like, to the ground. The hilarious—and outrageous to the tourists—part is this image of a rhino giving birth to a full-grown naked adult human “baby.” …. ….
Couldn’t Fight Your Way Out of a Plastic Bag!
Other examples of this element of human features pushing through membranes has individuals completely covered and suffocated in membrane-like elastic sheets from which they cannot escape and in which they appear agonized and struggling. A good example of this was in a scene from “Fire In the Sky” that was shown repeatedly on TV to hype the movie when it came out. Even the invention and use of straight jackets shows our preoccupation with the perinatal, especially as concerns our mental health or well-being. For the message there is that if you “get out of control” you will be put back in a place where you will be forced to comply and will have to learn to deal, as all the rest of us do, with the “existential fact” of needing to conform to the dictates of an overwhelming, dominating, and pervasive other world. Existential fact is in quotes to point out that this is not an essential fact of existence; rather they seem to be facts to humans because of the experience we share of being in constricting wombs which become uncomfortable and suffocating increasingly near the end. This is an example of what I have termed elsewhere, biologically constituted realities. Of course a similar thing—forcible “re-education”—could be said for the use of jail cells, solitary confinement, and enclosures like “The Hole” during incarceration. Simply the fact that we have a much greater percentage of our population in prisons than any time previously points to our mania of trying to control this aspect of our feelings from our origins…and of an emerging perinatal unconscious triggering the reaction. In former times, torture devices often employed devices of compression, suffocation, constriction…of the entire body or just the head…and often added the element of prenatal discomfort by adding torture while so enclosed. The Iron “Maiden” is such a device. Note the feminine being employed in the name itself. Could that be any more clear that it is meant to be a painful, tortuous re-creation of being inside one’s mother? Modern movies showing such devices or procedures are indicative of these perinatal elements coming to the surface obviously. One example is “The Man in the Iron Mask.” In a similar respect, I have already mentioned our current preoccupation with water-boarding style torture. In employing suffocation, it is an effective and brutally inhuman way of stimulating people’s perinatal pain, just as straight jackets and jail cells are intended to.
This House Will Eat You Alive!
I saw a most potent portrayal of this new perinatal element in the 1996 movie by Peter Jackson, with Michael J. Fox, “The Frighteners.”
This movie’s plot involved a house being somewhat alive and gobbling people up into the walls. The ingested people would try to emerge from the house’s walls. The walls being like elastic when they would do this, the features of their faces could be seen pushing through to the point even of the individuals being identifiable. These swallowed people could not get out of the walls. And they would be the next ones trying to lure their loved ones and friends into being gobbled up by the house, the same having been done to them, which had resulted in their being taken into the walls initially. Sounds like a modern, very perinatal variation on the Pied Piper theme. But the former victims who, once pulled into the walls, themselves become perpetrators also is a powerful metaphor of the way primal trauma and child abuse of all kinds—including genital mutilation—is passed from one generation to the next. Vampirism has this telling quality as well: Once you are “bitten,” you are compelled to do it to others. In the same way all child abusers were abused themselves as children, as any psychologist will tell you.
Continue with Worse Homes and Gardens – Houses, Prisons, Schools, Dungeons, UFOs and Spaceships…and Their Obstetricians: Perinatal Media, Part 5
Return to Becoming Thingified–Modern Birth Tells the Baby, “Welcome to the world, now screw you!”: Perinatal Media, Part 3
Invite you to join me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/sillymickel
friend me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sillymickel
March 26, 2012 - Posted by sillymickel | Activism, Anthropology, ecocide, Environment, globalrevolution, newearth | Ace Ventura, alien, biologically constituted realities, birth, child abuse, constrict, control, CULTURE, elastic, enclosure, environment, escape, face, fetus, film, Fire in the Sky, force, genital mutilation, Harry Potter, house, Iron Maiden, jail, jail cell, Jim Carey, Man in the Iron Mask, media, membrane, mental-health, metaphor, Michael J. Fox, Michael Jackson, movie, pain, perinatal, Peter Jackson, Pink Floyd, primal, prison, push, rhino, science, stimulate, straight jacket, symbol, symbolism, The Frighteners, The Hole, The Shining, The Wall, threaten, torture, Total Recall, trap, trauma, vampire, wall, womb, X-files
2 Comments »
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Writer, independent scholar, primal therapist, breathwork facilitator, & political activist. Expertise: fields of Pre- and Perinatal Psychology; Primal Psychology; Humanistic Psychology; Cross-cultural Religious Practices & Rituals; Great World Religions & Theologies; Spirituality; Altered States of Consciousness Research; Asian, especially Indian Religious Philosophy and Culture; Politics; Sixties Politics, Culture, Movements, and People. Journeyman scholar: fields of Economics, Anthropology, Psychological Anthropology: Environmental Studies.
Things I’m proud of: Being one of the group of people who worked to bring nuclear power to a halt, in Springfield, Oregon, early 80s, and succeeded. My reasons: the apocalyptic dangers of nuclear energy. My part: going door-to-door every night for a few years in Springfield and towns up and down the Willamette Valley educating people about the dangers of nuclear and the financial scandal of the WPPPS plants. How it was done: Enough grass roots pressure was brought to bear. The organization I worked for, Oregon Fair Share, discovered Springfield law that stipulated that its citizens could not be indebted/taxed over a certain % without a vote of the people; there had been no vote; the costs overruns of WPPS would have led to indebtedness of approx. $8,000 per household throughout the Northwest – just to “mothball” the plants. This led to a lawsuit. Current US Congressmen Representative Peter deFazio became involved and helped in the lawsuit, which was taken on, pro bono, by an attorney, whose name I’ve forgotten. We won, creating the largest bond default in U.S. history. Other municipalities followed suit. Nuclear power was shown up to be the financial gravy train for investors and the financial ripoff for consumers that it is. No applications to build a plant were filed after that.
Other things I’m proud of: all of my writings; any way I’ve helped clients in therapy; any way I’ve helped students when I taught at the university; my websites and blogs, the fact that I was a hippie and a young radical and antiwar activist in the Sixties; the fact that I lived during the incredible Sixties and got to experience and get bitten by the idealism and global visionary bug, which I hold fast, to the this day; and the fact that I was the perfect age to understand and experience it – in my late teens and early twenties; the fact that I had the sense and courage to do thorough primal therapy in Denver during the years 1975-1980; my wife, Mary Lynn, my stepson, Peter, my brothers and sisters, my nieces and nephews, in particular, still growing up, Timothy; and especially my Godchildren, JoAnn, Tyler, and still growing up, eleven year old, smart, athletic, and amazingly for her age, sensitive and loving, Elizabeth.
I’m also proud of my ability to be silly as hell without caring, to be madcap, to make people laugh, to be rational, to wake people up, to be comedic, to be able to write more wisely than I have any realization of knowing, to notice the person left out in a group and to include that person, to care about the suffering of people I don’t know, as well as those I do, and to feel their pain, to care about the plight of our planetmates, the other beings on this planet who don’t have to resort to rarely effective language in order to communicate, to be able to forgive, to be tolerant, to be non-judgmental about what people do that doesn’t effect others, and to be able to be on any person’s level – from child to working stiff to university prof to corporate cog – and to hear, understand, and share with them in their language.
The most fun I’ve had: playing with nephew, Timothy, and Goddaughter, Elizabeth, and being in their world and playing with them and sharing with them my ability to make up wild outlandish fantasies of reality that we’d laugh and play around with, at the same time giving them the support, love, role model, advice, and acceptance of the adult I am; also the “work” I did with the developmentally delayed and emotionally disturbed, where I found that they had more ability to share in laughter and to be funny and clever, and to be loving, than most “normal” people – child or adult.
Another thing I’m proud of: Learning through the work above that everyone, no matter their level of intelligence or their emotional problems, are beautiful sparks of divinity with bits of genius, and certainly unique wonderful qualities, that make them delightful to be with.
My main mission in life: Searching for truth in world of Lies, Liars; wanting to help as we kill the planet, all of us, all our children, grandchildren, and all the planetmates, all the beings, of which God made millions of species, who have lived and had a home on this planet until only lately, the planet-killing half-borns, the species, Homo Sapiens, evolved, to the extreme detriment of the millions of other planetmates.
Damn good example of why you should get references, ALWAYS, before allowing anyone to move in.
- Apocalypse Emergency: Love's Wake-Up Call ... . Complete Book, on-line free, now bit.ly/188YgaL #TheAwakening #ecocide #occupyearthhttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 14 hours ago
- Creation of Loneliness & Expulsion fr Paradise at Birth: The Why & Way of Mind Separating fr Universal Consciousness bit.ly/12AxwOjhttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 2 days ago
- On Science as Idolatry…A Physicist Reports on the Truth Behind Scientific Conjuring bit.ly/19BBqri #TheAwakening #theshift #ecocidehttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 2 days ago
- Culture War, Class War: The Rise and Fall of “Obvious Truths” .. Complete Book, on-line free, now bit.ly/10yi554 #TheAwakening #owshttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 4 days ago
- About Becoming Authentic & its Author, SillyMickel Adzema. About The Site. The Next Frontier in Evolution. bit.ly/10EOKqu #Awakeninghttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 5 days ago
- Are Aliens Actually Angels Attempting 2 Midwife Us In2 Next Higher Stage of r Ascension 2 hOMe? Matter as Metaphor 10 bit.ly/18EFol7http://twitter.com/sillymickel 6 days ago
- Separated from Our Bodies at Birth..Separated from Our Spiritual Selves: An Angel of Death Guards the Gates of Heaven bit.ly/12lIiI3http://twitter.com/sillymickel 1 week ago
- We Create Time to Escape from an Insufferable Now…Therein We Create Death: The Beginnings of...Becoming Just an Idea bit.ly/16f0M1ahttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 1 week ago
- Womb Existence Is a Separate But Connected State, of Space Not Time, an Eternal Now: Womb with a View ..Transpersonal bit.ly/129ALuIhttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 1 week ago
- The Child Is Tasked w/Cleansing the World of a Taint Passed Down fr the Beginnings of Time: “Mending the Catastrophe” bit.ly/16Fb4Yfhttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 2 weeks ago
- Mythology Supports Experientially—Release of Sperm/Egg Is 1st Removal fr Divinity: Breaking of Vessels,1st Separation bit.ly/ZWuRxUhttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 2 weeks ago
- Scattering of the Divine Sparks & Divine Symbiosis: 1st Fall Fr Grace, Sperm/Egg, Conception, Pt3—Theurgic Conception bit.ly/11Rg3AEhttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 2 weeks ago
- In the Beginning, the “Thin Pipe Fr Infinity”…“Emanated Light In2 World”: We Begin w/“Contraction” … Biol & Spiritual bit.ly/Y79mtJhttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 2 weeks ago
- Cellular Consciousness, Chonyid Bardo: "Like a Prodigal Child, I Had Run Away fr my Macrocosmic Home & Imprisoned..." bit.ly/Z6KqQmhttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 3 weeks ago
- Mythology Tells the Tale of r Lives as Cells:Whatever Happened 2Us in the Amnestic Years…Is Projected 2ward Cosmogony bit.ly/13ZGU1Ahttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 3 weeks ago
- Morphogenetic Fields Theory Makes Genetics Obsolete & Unnecessary…& Cellular Memory Understandable:“Prior Conditions” bit.ly/17cKTG8http://twitter.com/sillymickel 3 weeks ago
- Cellular Memory’s Challenge 2 Materialism, Support 4 Panpsychism: The Body Arises fr Consciousness, Not Vice-Versa... bit.ly/11SRao4http://twitter.com/sillymickel 4 weeks ago
- Biology as Metaphor & Mythology, Pt 1: “The Map Is Not the Territory” & Biological Phases As Levels of Consciousness bit.ly/11i4VLNhttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 1 month ago
- Tribes & Wonder Versus Civilization & Suffering:More Nestling Up W/the Implicate Order,Or B4 & After the Western Fall bit.ly/17256wfhttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 1 month ago
- “One at First Sees a God as a Demon Until One Is ‘Wholly’ Enough to Recognize Him”: We See “Angels” Thru Our Pain... bit.ly/14KWduphttp://twitter.com/sillymickel 1 month ago